Author Topic: Dying Phatbox??? . . . You guys are my last hope . . .  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Smack PhD

Dying Phatbox??? . . . You guys are my last hope . . .
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:24 am »
I'm hoping that somewhere here can steer me in the right direction to get my Phatbox working again.  After reading through a lot of the threads here, I've come to realize two things.  First is that I haven't found anyone who's had my exact problem.  Second, with the knowledge you have shown in the other threads, if anyone can help me out, it's you guys.

So here's my situation and back story.  I picked this unit up towards the end of 2005 and I want to say it was a VW system.  But I was able to update the firmware to make the system work with my Mazda3.  I got the idea and instructions off a car forum that I frequented back then.  Since then everything has worked fine. 

But now I can't get anything.  When I load the cartridge, my HU shows the EX which it should, but that's it.  There's no music, no prompts, nothing.  So I moved onto the HD thinking that was the problem.  I removed all of the songs.  I ran both of the fix applications that came with the software.  I reloaded all the songs.  Same situation.

So with that out of the way, here comes what I think is the important part after seeing how many of the other problems were solved.  When I load the HD and power on the HU, I can hear the Phatbox spin up, the red light comes on, and then the green light blinks 13 times, pauses, blinks 5 more times, and then both the red and green light go off.  When the lights go off, I can hear the Phatbox spin down as well.  Then the whole process starts again.  And I've let it continue up to 5 times before giving up so I'm sure it's not loading any new firmware or anything along those lines. 

I've also looked for a bootload.log, but I didn't see one in the system folder.  I tried creating one by creating a text file and renaming the file (and extension) bootload.log, but nothing wrote to that file when I tried to start the Phatbox either.  So I'm not sure if I'm even creating the bootload.log file properly. 

So can anyone out there help me out a little bit here?  I really don't want to lose this system, but with a kid on the way, I don't have the funds to go buy another one right now.  So fixing this is my only option.  Also, as far as being savvy enough to fix this, I was able to update the original firmware which I believe was for a VW to the Mazda firmware so I'm hoping I know enough to follow any instructions anyone can provide me with. 

Basically at this point I'm almost ready to consider this thing dead, so let me have whatever possible fixes are out there because I don't have anything to lose at this point.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. 

Offline Smack PhD

Re: Dying Phatbox??? . . . You guys are my last hope . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:04:53 am »
Well you guys are better than I could have ever thought.   ;D

After posting this I decided to search a bunch of different key words to see if I could come up with anymore.  I luckily came across this thread http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,602.20.html and realized that I knew Crane from years ago at the car forum I frequented because we were the first two to attempt the Phatbox install on our Mazda3's.  So I decided to read through his thread just to laugh about us trying to figure this all out back then together.  Ans wouldn't you know it, he hosted the old firmware files in that thread and I lost my original files long ago to a HD meltdown. 

Well long story short is I downloaded the firmware files, re-updated my Phatbox, and we're back up and rolling like nothing happened.  Wouldn't you know just starting over was the best option and I could never try it because I didn't have the original firmware files? 

Anyways, I wanted to come back and post my resolution again for two reasons.  First is because I hate being that one post guy who asks a question and then never comes back, and I didn't want to be another one of those guys at your forum.  Second is because some other random internet guy might just happen across my thread with the same problem and he will be able to find the answer without having to become one of those guys at your forum.

So thank you again, even if you didn't have to answer my questions directly, because keeping this forum going and active is more than enough to keep Phatboxes working. 

Offline triplets

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:15:35 pm »
Hi Smart PHD,

You may be my lifesaver.  My problem is that my unit does not power down. I have never used the mp3 function of the dms unit which came installed in my 06 uplander. The unit constantly runs even when powered off. It will stop, then start again. Please help. Your problem seems to be the closes I have come across since starting to research this. The dealership says its the fan. Buts its not.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:51 am »
I missed this post as I've been super busy lately.  For future reference, you could have used the DMS tools which allows you to repair a damaged DMS, including the ability to replace the firmware... ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)