Author Topic: DMS IN VW Passat Seems To Have No Power  (Read 8619 times)

Offline NJNewbie

DMS IN VW Passat Seems To Have No Power
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:38:31 am »
Good evening All, I am new here and would like to thank everyone for the information you have shared... I have searched but was not able to find a starting point for my issue. Many similar ones but not basic. As I am a newbie here I need some starting out instructions. The subject is a DMS in my wife's 1999 VW Passat. It has worked flawlessly for about 5 years now and  was installed by the dealer. ... last week it stopped working.  ???

At the head end which is the stock VW stereo, when I push CD it displays Cd 1 Track 01 but nothing else. At the phat noise end, I removed the DMS and reinserted it. There is not activity and the LEDs stay dark. Seems to be a power issue, but I am not sure where to begin...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: DMS IN VW Passat Seems To Have No Power
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:32:26 am »
When you attach the DMS to the cradle, are you able to see the contents of the DMS cartridge using your software and/or does Windows explorer show two drives labelled PHTSYS and PHTDTA?

If so, there could be two possible causes of your problem:

1) The connector inside the DMS is bad - there have been several instances lately of them working fine with the cradle but not with the box
2) The ribbon cable / switch inside the PhatBox has a problem

Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline NJNewbie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:25 am »
Thanks VorTechS for your input... yes the DMS is accessible and readable when in the computer cradle... so the cable to the back of the Phatnoise in the trunk is bad or the ribbon cable inside the Phatnoise is bad? what about a blown fuse? Does this unit have an internal fuse?

Offline NJNewbie

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:05:03 am »
Ok so I know I have a problem... where do I start  ???. Any sources on troubleshooting this unit available out there ???

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.  :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:31:31 am »
Sorry didn't realise I hadn't replied to your earlier post.

Open up the PhatBox, and have a look inside :)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline NJNewbie

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 04:11:00 pm »
Having a heck of a time getting the faceplate off to get to the front screws...

Offline NJNewbie

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »
Ok got the faceplate off and the case off.. now what?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:35:37 am »
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

You're in Northern NJ, right? (I get either O...d or H...e, depending on how I look) [Town names censored for privacy reasons.]

I drive up 208 to Ringwood at least once a month. I could put a VW Phatbox and cable in my car the next time I do that drive, and visit you to see if either the new cable or Phatbox solves the problem. You can PM me if this would be helpful for you.

Offline NJNewbie

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »
Update...

I finally found the original CD changer and plugged it it to see if it would work.. it does :D which means the Phatnoise head end is broken  >:(. Any suggestions on my next step or anyone know of someone capable of repairing one of these  ???

Thanks

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:03 pm »
it does :D which means the Phatnoise head end is broken  >:(. Any suggestions on my next step or anyone know of someone capable of repairing one of these  ???

It could be that the switch that detects the DMS inside the Phatbox has a problem, or the ribbon cable between the 2 boards in the Phatbox is loose. That's assuming the DMS is in working condition and nothing funny happened, like loading some other model of firmware on it.

See more in my PM to you.

Offline NJNewbie

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:54:35 pm »
This is a bone stock unit, no modes done on my part. The only other clue I have is after installing the original CD player, I tried to adjust the bass and treble settings. On the treble when in CD mode It says Treble +D.... when in radio mode it is set to Treble +7. In both cases I can not adjust the treble in either direction. The bass, fader and balance controls work so it might just be the radio after all... maybe its time to consider a replacement radio  ???