Author Topic: SSD in a PhatNoise - ready for prime time?  (Read 10302 times)

Offline robbyb413

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
SSD in a PhatNoise - ready for prime time?
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:15 am »
Hey everybody. It's been a while since I posted on here, glad to see the site is still here.

Wanted to check in on the current status of SSD compatibility with Phatnoise/Phathack DMS tools. Last time I recall reading a thread there was an issue with the Phatnoise hanging when you tired to use any of the few models that had an IDE connector, and when I searched I didn't see anything updating to the contrary.

I've got a spare Phatnoise player that has no cable or DMS. I was thinking I'd like to try building a new DMS and flashing it to Kenwood firmware so I can grab a Kenwood cable and attach it to a Kenwood head unit. Easy enough right? Well the vehicle I want to stick this spare unit in is a Jeep Wrangler that I use offroad and there's no way a standard IDE HD would survive. I can figure out how to isolate the unit from shock to some degree, but the only way it's not going to eat HDs for breakfast lunch and dinner is if it's a SSD I think. I don't own and SSDs right now and I don't want to chuck down that much money on the aging Phatnoise platform just to give it a shot if I don't know for sure the drive will work. I like Phatnoise though and would rather spend the money to get a SSD and cable than buy some other mp3 player though.

Thanks in advance for any updates on SSD in the phatnoise. :)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: SSD in a PhatNoise - ready for prime time?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »
As you will have seen by searching, no user of this forum has ever reported successfully using a solid state drive in a Phatbox/Keg.  The problem is not using SSDs with the Phatnoise/Phathack software, but in getting one to work in the car.  I think the lack of any success in identifying the cause of the problem has discouraged anyone else from trying with SSDs, so unless I am wrong there is nothing new to report...
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline robbyb413

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
As you will have seen by searching, no user of this forum has ever reported successfully using a solid state drive in a Phatbox/Keg.  The problem is not using SSDs with the Phatnoise/Phathack software, but in getting one to work in the car.  I think the lack of any success in identifying the cause of the problem has discouraged anyone else from trying with SSDs, so unless I am wrong there is nothing new to report...

You mean as I did see from searching, don't you? Not a lick of discussion matching the search term SSD since 2009. Not like I didn't give it a go, as I mentioned in my original post there. ;)

Didn't know if it had been revisited since then or if there were any plans to at least test it out further. Thanks anyway though.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:03:48 am »
As you will have seen by searching...

You mean as I did see from searching, don't you?

While strictly this is the future-perfect tense I believe, it's normal usage in UK English is to refer to the past.  So "As you will have seen" is directly equivalent to "As you have seen", "As you saw", etc.  Literally it can be read as "As you have already seen".  It is not normally used to refer to a future action.  Perhaps a difference between English and US speak...?

(Sorry for the digression)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:06:58 am by S80_UK »

Offline robbyb413

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:03:46 am »
In the US we read the entire post before posting condescending responses, that's probably the difference. If he had he would have seen the part what I mentioned I searched and he would have selected something else to try to put me down rather than accusing me of posting before searching. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:07:28 am by robbyb413 »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:17 am »
Sorry, but I think that you have still fallen into the US vs UK English trap.  To say "as you will have seen" is never condescending - it is simply a confirmation or recognition of what you reported.  You reported that you have found nothing new on SSDs.  Mark was simply agreeing with you - certainly not accusing you of anything.  No more to be said.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:55:50 am by S80_UK »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:42:10 pm »
Just to clarify: I am from the US, I did read robbyb413's entire post, and I clearly understood that he had already searched the board.  This is why I wrote "as you WILL have seen" instead of "as you WOULD have seen."  My post was in no way meant to be condescending.  Sorry for any linguistic misunderstanding!  (And thanks to Les for trying to clear it up!)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:18:55 pm by markbowen »
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 03:11:24 pm »
Hi Mark,

For some reason (unknown) I thought you were in the UK - so I probably compounded the problem.   My apologies to both.

Les.