Author Topic: Having a problem creating a new DMS (firmware download)  (Read 10439 times)

Offline Spider-Dan

• PhatHacker
Having a problem creating a new DMS (firmware download)
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:10 am »
I recently used PhatHack DMS Tools to hack my Kenwood Music Keg and the program reported a successful patch.

However, I installed a new hard drive (60GB) in one of my DMS cartridges, and in the process of formatting the new DMS cartridge, the log reports a failure when attempting to download the firmware.  It appears to be trying to download from http://www.dailyphat.com/files/[blahblah] but the files in question are actually located at http://www.dailyphat.com/firmware/[blahblah] .

Is there a way I can point the PhatHack DMS Tools at the correct location for these files?

I am using PhatHack DMS Tools version 2.14.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Having a problem creating a new DMS (firmware download)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:01:32 am »
Thanks for reporting this.  We're aware of the situation and hope to have it sorted soon (if it hasn't been already)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Spider-Dan

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
Thanks.  As a workaround, I installed Apache on my PC and manually edited my Windows hosts file to point back to myself (i.e. the files I manually found and downloaded) for www.dailyphat.com and downloads.phathack.com (which appears to be the location for the unmodified firmware repository... and also doesn't work, FYI).  Just for the record, I am using Kenwood firmware 13.01.

Question, though:  when I edited my hosts file and started up DMS Tools, the list of available firmware was blank.  I'm guessing DMS Tools reaches out to one of those sites for live firmware lists?  In any case, I got around it by starting up DMS Tools with an empty hosts file, then changing the entries for those two sites and flushing my DNS cache.

Offline figurefive

• A few posts under my belt.
  • It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:33:16 pm »
Thanks for this info. I had to rebuild my DMS over the weekend and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the drive was empty after the rebuild reported as successful. I used Spider-Dans's hosts file approach and got it going again.

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 02:14:09 am »
ok, I just got an 40gb GM dms and tried to change it to a VW dms, but it fails on the create of phtsys but does seem to create phtdta.  Have no idea how to do spider-dans workaround.  Please help!

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 02:31:08 am »
OK, I have a 20gb dms, is there any may to make a full copy of the phtsys partition, and then paste it on to the new 40gb phtsys partition?

Offline tieflyer

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »
I was able to figure out how to use a 20gb backup to populate a 40gb dms.  I saved the partition using easetodo backup to save it and then restore it and then I used easetod partation magic to resize the 20gb partion to be 40 gb.

Offline zafdor

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:23 am »
I seem to be having the same problem.    I see that s simple copy of the unzipped files from http://www.dailyphat.com/firmware/...   onto the DMS PHTSYS partition  is 'not supported', is this dangerous for some reason?   It seems like the only option at this point.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
I just released an update to the DMS Tools, which should resolve any download issues. 
If you are having problems with un-trusted files after this, try using the 'Run as administrator' option
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:06 am »
I went ahead and made an alias of /files to /firmware too so the old versions should work too... not sure what happened to cause this problem