Author Topic: Where do you get drive-sig-1mb.bin?  (Read 7752 times)

Offline John1981

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatLoner
Where do you get drive-sig-1mb.bin?
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:26:51 pm »
Hey Guys,

I successfully patched my DMS drive I got:

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

However I can't find the drive-sig-1mb.bin I've looked everywhere for it.

Can anyone help?

John

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Where do you get drive-sig-1mb.bin?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:56:02 pm »
it should be in the backup folder on the phtsys partition.  however some of the newer scripts don't save that file as its not required by the patch CD...  this would be on the original DMS of course.

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:35:58 am »
it should be in the backup folder on the phtsys partition.  however some of the newer scripts don't save that file as its not required by the patch CD...  this would be on the original DMS of course.

Ok, so is it produced when you patch the DMS? or should it have been in the folder I downloaded from the phathack wiki?

Ive spent months trying to hack this bloody thing, Ive tried following the guide and tried the patch CD to no avail. I still wonder if its properly patching the DMS. However Ive tried it several times to no avail. It still wont read my new drive in the car.

John

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:32:14 pm »
it is produced when you run the DMS hack CD and then run the DMS (original DMS that is) in the phatbox

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:40:48 am »
it is produced when you run the DMS hack CD and then run the DMS (original DMS that is) in the phatbox

Ahh so thats why it doesnt work then. One of my mates found a file drive-sig-1mb.bin on the net and emailed it to me. I then copied it onto the drive as a last resort.

Is that drive now ruined, or is it worth trying to hack again to see if my phatbox produces the drive-sig-1mb.bin so I can copy to the new drive?

Thanks

John

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:35:38 am »
which drive did you copy it to?  how did you copy it to the drive?

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:36:15 pm »
Copied it to the new 60gig Seagate drive using DD for Windows.
The original drive still works fine in the Phatbox.
I did have major problems originally patching it, it took me a few weeks to get it to produce the text file to confirm it had patched.

Is it worth just starting from scratch? Trying the patch again on the phatbox with my orignal drive in the DMS.

Regards

John

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:18:20 am »
Ok I just put the DMS into my phatbox with the original drive and its not saying no disk. I have tried formatting the partitions and rebuilding with PMM to no avail.

Have I ruined it???

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 12:11:44 pm »
you can only ruin the original DMS by messing with the parition table / drive signature.

new disks can be rebuilt at any time.  just start over on the new drive from scratch.

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 11:34:12 pm »
Oop's yea started working again. For some reason I had to update the firmware on the DMS to get it to work but it did. I will try patching again and see how far I get this time.

Thanks

John

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 06:25:23 pm »
John,  Looks like I am having the same problem as you.  Box is patched, Original DMS works fine, Hack DMS doesn't work.

I'm using the VW system.  I didn't try the manual method of patching, since the boot CD worked for me, and 'unlocked' the box.  I did use the DD comand with the patch CD, for which I found instructions here on the forums.  I've started over several times with the new HDD.

Recently Judb advised me to reformat the original PHTSYS partition, and load the firmware, and level 10 rcpairs.  and create a bootload.log file.  This didn't turn out any more verbose than berfore.

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

I was expecting more info than that.  Should the rcpairs be overwritten, i assume?

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 06:46:25 pm »
Since it is a VW system I'm working with, I'm going to try this method:  http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1146689746

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 10:56:27 pm »
I went through the setup again from the begining and after 20 attempts of turning the systems on for a min then off over and over again it finally produced drive-sig-1mb.bin.

I then copied that onto the drive with DD, used the recovery CD as stated, then used PMM to install all the files. I then deleted the two update files added 1 playlist and tried it out.

To start with the player kept trying to open playlist 2 track 1, and I only had one playlist. So I disconnected my phatbox from the headunit and connected according to the Kenwood instructions. Now my headunit detects the phatbox as a CD changer and wont use the DMS.

That was about a week ago, I have given up for the time being since then.

John

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 09:13:43 am »
does nobody listen when I say that the signature at the beginning of the drive is un-neccesary on a fully patched box?

Offline John1981

• PhatLoner
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 12:04:00 pm »
does nobody listen when I say that the signature at the beginning of the drive is un-neccesary on a fully patched box?

I have never heard anyone say that before.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 11:14:40 pm »
What?  did someone say something?

Sam, we should update the wiki and the CD to refelect all that and hopefully we can fix the VW issues too.. did you get a lonaner VW box from someone yet?