Author Topic: Kenwood KHD-CX910 & OEM VW 2008 GTI Headunit.  (Read 12851 times)

Offline soze

Kenwood KHD-CX910 & OEM VW 2008 GTI Headunit.
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
Ok, I posted a request for the correct cables in the classified section, but that might've been the wrong place.  Anyway,  I have an old Kenwood KHD-CX910 that I used to have hooked up to a kenwood headunit.  I've just changed my car and now I want to use my stock 2008 VW GTI headunit with it.  Anyone know which cable to use from Kenwood Music Keg to the stock VW headunit?  Anyone know where I can find one?  I've tried e-mailing the guy at Blitzsafe, but I haven't gotten a reply.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Kenwood KHD-CX910 & OEM VW 2008 GTI Headunit.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:38:52 am »
You just need the VW Phatnoise cable, easily found on eBay.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline soze

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:52:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  And I'm assuming that there is another cable between this one and the OEM headunit correct?  Or does this go directly to the headunit?

eBay VW Phatbox adapter

I also have an i-Pod adapter in the car.  The phatbox cable on ebay states that it plugs into the CD changer cable.  Does the i-Pod adapter use a CD changer cable?  Is it possible to have both the iPod and Phatbox running, or is it one or the other if the i-Pod adapter uses the CD Changer cable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:18:48 pm by soze »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:39:30 pm »
That cable should run directly from the Phatbox to the CD changer input on your head unit.

As for the iPod adapter, I am pretty sure the early adapters used the CD input and offered limited functionality.  One would hope the latest adapters use a direct USB connection for full functionality, but I don't know.  Check with your dealer.

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:15 pm »
Will this Kenwood box show the song title on the radio display?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 05:14:27 am »
Only on Kenwood stereos....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:09:24 am »
I answered the very same question in yet another post a week ago....

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 09:19:33 am »
Perhaps another one worming it's way out of the woodwork? ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
I answered the very same question in yet another post a week ago....

Re: VW Head Unit Display
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:39:38 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Kenwoods display artist/track info.  All others have to rely on the SSA voice prompts for info.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually Mark! this was your answer in another post last week.... Only Kenwood's being Kenwood Keg's!

I am still new at this PhatNoise thing, I have only had it installed for just over 2 weeks! So my question "Will this Kenwood Keg display on a VW Stereo" was not exactly answered by YOU last week was it? I got the correct and somewhat more pleasant and un sarcastic answer from Vortec.

Sarcastic and smart comments like this only put newbies off posting for fear of being ridiculed!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 07:17:56 pm »
Re: VW Head Unit Display
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:39:38 PM » Quote 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Kenwoods display artist/track info.  All others have to rely on the SSA voice prompts for info.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually Mark! this was your answer in another post last week.... Only Kenwood's being Kenwood Keg's!

I am still new at this PhatNoise thing, I have only had it installed for just over 2 weeks! So my question "Will this Kenwood Keg display on a VW Stereo" was not exactly answered by YOU last week was it? I got the correct and somewhat more pleasant and un sarcastic answer from Vortec.

Sarcastic and smart comments like this only put newbies off posting for fear of being ridiculed!

I take exception to this.  I think you will find that I am a quite civil member of this community.

To be clear, dear fellow, the question I answered a week ago was under your topic "VW Head Unit Display."  Your question precisely was "Now should the Head Unit be showing the track name (from the MP3 ID tag)?"  My response was, as you quoted, "Only Kenwoods display artist/track info.  All others have to rely on the SSA voice prompts for info."

Since the topic was head units, and the question was about head units, I thought you would have understood that my answer referred to head units and not Kegs or Phatboxes.  Apparently, it was my mistake for not precisely stating that I was indeed referring to Kenwood head units.

By the way, that is sarcasm.  My previous post would be more accurately described as an expression of exasperation.

You have a number of threads going, often covering similar topics, with similar questions and answers.  As I have previously noted, it might be easier for you (and the people trying to help) if you would try to confine things to one thread until you get up and running.  Moreover, I should note that many of the answers to your questions can be found by using the search functions of this forum.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:20:29 pm by markbowen »

Offline soze

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:44:51 pm »
That cable should run directly from the Phatbox to the CD changer input on your head unit.

As for the iPod adapter, I am pretty sure the early adapters used the CD input and offered limited functionality.  One would hope the latest adapters use a direct USB connection for full functionality, but I don't know.  Check with your dealer.

Back on topic.... I've found that I actually also needed this cable VW#1T0-051-592 in order for me to hook up that ebay cable I bought to my MKV GTI OEM headunit.  I should be getting them in the mail tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited to have my Music Keg library in a car again.  Hopefully everything goes smoothly.  From what I understand, I need to install that tool made by Vortechs, flash the DMS with VW firmware, and I'm good to go?  Any other suggestions of what I need to do software-wise after the hardware is hooked up?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:30 am »
Assuming you've not previously hacked your Kenwood Keg, you will want to be sure to check the option in VorTechS' Hack Tools to install the non-hacked VW firmware, just to get you up and running.  To be clear, of course, you then need to put the DMS in your Keg to flash it with the VW firmware.  (Refer to page 46 of your Phatbox/Keg manual, assuming you have it, for the flashing procedure.)  With luck, that should be all there is to it. 

Eventually, of course, you should hack your Keg/Phatbox, so you can either upgrade the DMS drive or replace it if it fails, but one thing at a time.

Offline soze

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 01:58:50 am »
Yep, My Music Keg is not hacked.  I previously had it hooked up to an aftermarket Kenwood Minidisc headunit.  I will eventually hack it though.  I have a 10gb DMS cartridge that needs to be "upsized".  My 40gb one is fine for now though.  Will I need to move everything off my 40gb if I have to update it with the new VW firmware?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 09:54:38 am »
Will I need to move everything off my 40gb if I have to update it with the new VW firmware?

No.  The firmware only overwrites files on the phtsys partition, not the phtdta partition where your music is.

Offline soze

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 04:41:00 am »
Ok, so I updated my  music keg to VW 7.02 firmware using the DMS tools v.2.12.

My problem is, that it looked like the unit was updating the firmware and then it shut off.  Now when I start the radio.... The unit stays off.  It doesn't turn on at all. But for some odd reason, i'm able to press the CD button a second time for cd changer mode.  But no lights or sounds of DMS accessing on the music keg at all.  I disconnect the music keg from the harness, reconnect.  Turn on radio, and the unit turns on for a few seconds, then shuts off again.  Any ideas what is going on?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 07:29:46 am »
Did you check the 'Install non-hacked' firmware option?

Offline soze

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 02:43:28 pm »
Yup.  THe first time, I tried to install the non-hacked VW 7.02.  That didn't work, so I re-formatted the PHSYS, and  I re-flashed to Kenwood 13.01 non-hacked.  THe reflash seemed to work alright, but no real way for me to test, but it didn't shut off when I put in the cartridge.  I then tried to do the hack using the hack wizard.  It did whatever it needed to do and shut off.  I took the DMS out and continued the wizard which said it failed.  I posted logs in the first section of this forum.  I then tried the non-hacked VW 7.02 again... I'm back to the system shutting off when the cartridge is inserted again.

THe headunit does recognize that an External unit is plugged in when there is no cartridge, but the when the cartridge is inserted the MusicKeg shuts off and won't turn on again, unless I unplug the phatnoise cable and re-connect it, and if the DMS is still in there... will shut off again.

All this was done using DMS Tools v 2.12
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:40:43 pm by soze »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 04:03:10 am »
You can't apply the hack to a keg when it doesn't get turned on.  I'm deleting your other post since it has no point.

You need to get it working with some head unit so you can turn it on before you can hack it.  Initial bootup is NOT sufficient, that just checks what firmware is running and flashes it if necessary.

Offline soze

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 05:17:52 am »
I guess my problem is that I just can't get the Keg to work with VW 7.02 firmware then?  I've tried over and over by flashing the vw firmware onto the DMS and booting the Keg on.  It seems to finish flashing ok.  After finished, it won't turn on when I turn on the radio and choose external CD, so I have to unplug the cable and re-plug it in.  Next time I turn it on though.... as soon as a DMS is put in there, it shuts off after a second.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 06:43:46 am »
I guess my problem is that I just can't get the Keg to work with VW 7.02 firmware then?  I've tried over and over by flashing the vw firmware onto the DMS and booting the Keg on.  It seems to finish flashing ok.  After finished, it won't turn on when I turn on the radio and choose external CD, so I have to unplug the cable and re-plug it in.  Next time I turn it on though.... as soon as a DMS is put in there, it shuts off after a second.

It looks like you are connecting the box without the DMS inside...?  The DMS should always be in the box when you connect it.  That is how the head unit initializes the connection.  Make sure the DMS is in the box before connecting (ignition off, radio off) and see what happens.