Author Topic: mazda help please  (Read 10696 times)

Offline sparky2002

mazda help please
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:16:24 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a disaster.

I hacked my audi phatbox using dms tools successfully.  I then got rid of the audi and bought a 2008 Mazda6 (UK version).
I extracted the mazda firmware (and the update) that i found on this forum onto the dms and succesfully flashed my box with the mazda firmware. This was all working fine for about a month.

I now seem to have a corrupt dms.  It appears ok in phatnoise music manager but when i load it in my phat box the HU just says 'NO DISC'.

I want to wipe my dms and start over to see if that fixes it.

My problem is dmstools does not list mazda in its firmware list.

Can someone guide me into wiping my phtsys and phtdata partitions and hopefully bring my phatbox back to life.

P.S. leds on phatbox seem to indicate that it is working as it should.

even reflashes when a ' forceupdate' file is placed on the phtsys partition.

Thanks in advance.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: mazda help please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:55:17 am »
No Mazda firmware, how'd we miss that?  Let me take a look into that....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:57 am »
Where did you find the Mazda firmware?  It's missing off the firmware download section too....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.

Offline sparky2002

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 05:38:15 pm »
thanks a lot - however, i think its died a death :(

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:16 am »
Let me patch up the firmware files for the tools in the manner it's expecting, and then you can try the tools 'Repair' mode to see if things kick back in to life.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:36:13 am »
http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/MZPHATSYS.zip and http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/MazdaUpdate.zip
I'll split things into the ZIP files expected, but you'll need to modify downloads.phathack.com/firmware to take into account the Mazda firmware ;)

I'll also do the GM firmware while I'm at it....

Offline sparky2002

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 04:52:49 pm »
done a full dms repair using vw 7.02 - format failed.
formatted both partitions in windows manually.
did full dms repair again using vw 7.02 successfully.
recopied over the mazda firmware and update.
then tried again in my phat box and it behaves exactly the same.
phatbox powers up and leds flash as expected but their seems to be no communication taking place between the phatbox and the head unit.

I will try again when you integrate the mazda firmware into the dms tools but success is looking very doubtful.

This all started when i opened my boot (trunk)  the other day to remove some shopping that had been there overnight.  I noticed my phatbox leds were flashing erratically.  This is when i noticed some beer had leaked out of a can and sprayed my boot carpet and the connector on the bottom of the phat box.  I have cleaned all contacts on the connectors and now the phatbox seems to be powering with the radio and shutting down ok. it even reflashes if i tell it to.  however it looks like someting has blown on the communication/ handshaking side of things.  Thankfully the bose sub under the boot carpet still works.

Many thanks for all your help. 

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:08:02 am »
Yea I've been a bit busy... but let me know if you get a chance to finish up those files and I'll post them

Offline BigRizz

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:55 am »
I too am having issues getting my VW phatbox working in my recently purchased 2005 Mazda6. The phatbox was taken out of my VW Touareg where it had been working perfectly. I followed the instructions from http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,602.20.html thread to change the firmware to the Mazda firmware. The red light goes on, the green light flashes then eventually the phatbox turns off and turns on again. At this point I'm assuming it has loaded the new firmware. The red light then stays on and the green light blinks briefly about every 4 seconds continually. I try a double press on the CD button on the car stereo and nothing. It just says 'No CD'.

Anyone have any idea what the blinking every 4 seconds is trying to tell me? Any suggestions on how to fix the damn thing?

Also, I'm running on the assumption that the firmware for the Mazda3 and the Mazda6 is the same? And that I don't need the MazdaUpdate.zip files that appear on the previously mentioned forum for the late model Mazda3?

Some extra information, I'm in Australia and the Mazda is presumably the Japanese version of the car. Right hand drive etc. I'm not sure if there's any difference in the car stereos between the US and Asia?   ???

UPDATE: I flashed the firmware back to the original VW firmware and downgraded the Phatbox. Exactly the same thing happens. All the lights then it stops then restarts with the red light constantly on and the green light blinking every 4 seconds. It's as if though the Phatbox either isn't being upgraded at all or the Mazda firmware isn't compatible with the stereo. Got me stumped. HEELLPP!

UPDATE 2: When I run DMS Doctor from my PC, it tells me that the "DMS Failed the System File Tests" with description "Could not find system file P:\". It also fails the "Profile and Playlists Test" with description "No M3U Playlist Signatures Found". Does this mean anything?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:42:16 am by BigRizz »

Offline BigRizz

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 08:10:15 am »
Hmm, no replies. Can anyone help here?   ???

Offline sparky2002

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 06:59:20 am »
Hi I would try the mazda update.
UPDATE 2: When I run DMS Doctor from my PC, it tells me that the "DMS Failed the System File Tests" with description "Could not find system file P:\". It also fails the "Profile and Playlists Test" with description "No M3U Playlist Signatures Found". Does this mean anything?

Mine does this as well.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:48 am »
Sorry I'm slacking, still not got the firmware sorted out.... same for GM too...

I will as soon as I can...

Offline BigRizz

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:26 am »
Hi I would try the mazda update.
Mine does this as well.

Thanks Sparky2002. Tried the mazdaupdate.zip and went through the process again but no joy. I'm stumped. Despondence is setting in.  :(

Offline BigRizz

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 07:44:14 am »
Sorry I'm slacking, still not got the firmware sorted out.... same for GM too...

I will as soon as I can...

You're my last hope, VortechS. I hope you can find the time to do the update, so I can give it a shot.   :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 11:05:00 am »
As soon as I get back to the office next year, I'll stick this on my priority list with the GM firmware too.
I know I've been meaning to do it... but lots of different things have gotten in the way.

I PROMISE to do it!! ;)

Offline BigRizz

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 09:31:20 am »
As soon as I get back to the office next year, I'll stick this on my priority list with the GM firmware too.
I know I've been meaning to do it... but lots of different things have gotten in the way.

I PROMISE to do it!! ;)

You promised, VorTechS! Don't make me beat you!  ;D

I'm guessing this is a dead duck. Might be finally time for me to resign myself to the idea that I'll never get my Phatbox to work in my Mazda and sell it to some lucky VW owner instead.  :'(

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 07:25:45 am »
No, it's not a dead duck.  I've had problems getting access to the server to upload files, and I've been away for a while.
I'm back now, possibly with a vengeance.... ;)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 08:19:24 am »
Okay, finally! :P

I've split out the Mazda files into the the relevant parts the tools expect, and I've updated am.xml which controls which firmware is listed in the tools.
I've uploaded it all to my PhatHack.com directory.

Now before we all get excited, there used to be a synch. process that copied am.xml into the core firmware directory.
However, this may not be present and may need a manual move by sbingner.

So as it currently stands, this is all un-tested... ;)