Author Topic: Flummoxed: 160GB Disk No Longer Working  (Read 14747 times)

Offline InterMurph

• A few posts under my belt.
Flummoxed: 160GB Disk No Longer Working
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:11:24 pm »
So I hacked my VW Phatnoise, bought a 160GB disk, and got it to work great.  I used Phatnoise Media Manager 3.92, and despite the problems others have seen with PMM and 160GB disks, I had no problems.

So then my wife complains about not having the right music on it, and I bring it in to work on it.  Since I first created my 300+ playlists, I have renamed some directories on my PC music library, so some of the playlists couldn't sync properly.  I started to fix up the playlists, and decided to just redo them all.

Next thing I know, I am getting delayed-write errors on the PHTDATA volume, and PMM couldn't access the DMS any more.  I tried initializing it with the "Create New DMS" in PhatHack DMS tools v2.12, but every time PMM starts, it says, "An unknown error occurred while accessing H:\CurrentSetup.xml".

I then tried initializing the DMS with Phatnoise Music Manager, but got the same result.

Then I figured that PMM was having trouble with the >127GB aspect of the drive, so I used Acronis Disk Director to resize it to 120GB, and change the cluster size to 32K.  No luck.

In short, my wife now has a completely non-functional Phatnoise, and she's not pleased.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I am perfectly willing to sacrifice 40GB of space if that will get it work, but I can't make that work.

Thanks.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Flummoxed: 160GB Disk No Longer Working
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
Sounds odd.  But it's possible that CurrentSetup.xml is missing something that PhatNoise MM is expecting.  Unfortunately I have no idea what.
What version of firmware do you have? 

If we can get a valid XML file, perhaps we can compare and work out what's missing that PMM expects, and I can add in the necessary changes.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »
But it complains about CurrentSetup.xml all the time, both when the disk is prepared by the hack tools and when it is prepared by the Phatnoise Music Manager.

I got the old 20GB drive out of the closet, and of course it works fine.

I don't think it is the contents of CurrentSetup.xml.  First, here is what it looks like when the hack tools create it:

Code: [Select]
<firmware><long_brand>Volkswagen</long_brand><headunit_code>0x3950</headunit_code><description>VW New Beetle Monsoon, VW New Beetle Non-Monsoon, VW Premium IV Non-Monsoon, VW Premium V Monsoon, VW Premium VI Double DIN</description><type>HU</type><model_group>Brand Stereos</model_group><years>Version 7.02, Released 11/3/2004.  Includes models:</years><image>/images/pm/volkswagen.jpg</image><firmware_version>7.02</firmware_version><firmware_date>11/3/2004</firmware_date><comment>Fixed track change bug with radio type E. Fixed audible resume bug. Fixed minor letter seek bug. Supports AAC decoder.</comment><headunit_files_url>firmware/headunit_0x3950_7_02.zip</headunit_files_url><headunit_files_version>7.02</headunit_files_version><headunit_files_date>11/3/2004</headunit_files_date><player_files_url>firmware/playerfiles_2004_11_01.zip</player_files_url><player_files_version>7.02</player_files_version><player_files_date>11/3/2004</player_files_date><daemon_files_url>firmware/daemonfiles_2004_11_01.zip</daemon_files_url><daemon_files_version>7.02</daemon_files_version><daemon_files_date>11/3/2004</daemon_files_date><system_files_url>firmware/systemfiles2004_11_01.zip</system_files_url><system_files_version>7.02</system_files_version><system_files_date>11/3/2004</system_files_date><required>Y</required></firmware>
Next, here is what it looks like when the Phatnoise Music Manager creates it:

<firmware><long_brand>Volkswagen-Native</long_brand><headunit_code>0x3900</headunit_code><description>VW New Beetle Monsoon, VW New Beetle Non-Monsoon, VW Premium IV Non-Monsoon, VW Premium V Monsoon, VW Premium VI Double DIN</description><type>HU</type><model_group>Brand Stereos</model_group><years>Version 7.02, Released 11/3/2004.  Includes Models:</years><image>/images/pm/volkswagen-native.jpg</image><firmware_version>7.02</firmware_version><firmware_date>11/3/2004</firmware_date><comment>Fixed track change bug with radio type E.  Fixed audible resume bug.  Fixed minor letter seek bug.  Supports AAC decoder</comment><headunit_files_url>/files/headunit_0x3950_7_02.zip</headunit_files_url><headunit_files_version>7</headunit_files_version><headunit_files_date>11/3/2004</headunit_files_date><player_files_url>/files/playerfiles_2004_11_01.zip</player_files_url><player_files_version>7.02</player_files_version><player_files_date>11/3/2004</player_files_date><daemon_files_url>/files/daemonfiles_2004_11_01.zip</daemon_files_url><daemon_files_version>7.02</daemon_files_version><daemon_files_date>11/3/2004</daemon_files_date><system_files_url>/files/systemfiles2004_11_01.zip</system_files_url><system_files_version>7.02</system_files_version><system_files_date>11/3/2004</system_files_date><required>Y</required></firmware>
And finally, here is what it looks like on the 20GB disk that works:

<firmware><long_brand>Volkswagen/Audi</long_brand><headunit_code>0x3950</headunit_code><description>All supported models</description><type>HU</type><model_group>Brand Stereos</model_group><years>Version 7.02, Released 11/3/2004.  Includes Models:</years><image>/images/pm/volkswagen_audi.jpg</image><firmware_version>7.02</firmware_version><firmware_date>11/3/2004</firmware_date><comment>Fixed track change bug with radio type E.  Fixed audible resume bug.  Fixed minor letter seek bug.  Supports AAC decoder</comment><headunit_files_url>/files/headunit_0x3950_7_02.zip</headunit_files_url><headunit_files_version>7</headunit_files_version><headunit_files_date>11/3/2004</headunit_files_date><player_files_url>/files/playerfiles_2004_11_01.zip</player_files_url><player_files_version>7.02</player_files_version><player_files_date>11/3/2004</player_files_date><daemon_files_url>/files/daemonfiles_2004_11_01.zip</daemon_files_url><daemon_files_version>7.02</daemon_files_version><daemon_files_date>11/3/2004</daemon_files_date><system_files_url>/files/systemfiles2004_11_01.zip</system_files_url><system_files_version>7.02</system_files_version><system_files_date>11/3/2004</system_files_date><required>Y</required></firmware>
PS  I am using Volkswagen 7.02 firmware.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 03:27:22 pm »
Well there we go 3 different version of long_brand doesn't look like it helps...

The actual firmware properties are of no use to the software now anyway, have you tried copying the file from the 20GB and sticking it over the top of the one created by the tools.  It's a fairly harmless file, and contains no configuration information that the box uses.  It's just for the firmware update part of PhatNoise MM - which is redundant now anyway.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »
Looking at the tools version, the XML properties are a bit whack.  Might have to look at why that is.

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:18:30 pm »
I copied the CurrentSetup.xml file from the 20GB disk onto the 160GB disk, and I got the same error from PMM:  "An unknown error has occurred while accessing H:\CurrentSetup.xml."

I'm going to try resizing the PHTDATA partition on the 160GB drive to 20GB and see if that does anything...

Edit:  that didn't work either.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:01:10 pm by InterMurph »

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 05:31:15 pm »
So I deleted everything on the PHTSYS volume, and when PMM started up, it complained about missing files, but then it recognized the DMS.

So I used Phatnoise Music Manager to re-initialize the disk at 120GB, removed it, re-mounted it, and deleted CurrentSetup.xml.  Then I removed it, and re-mounted it.

Now Phatnoise Media Manager says:  "An unknown error occurred while accessing H:\WelcomeFileName.txt".

So I don't think the problem is with the contents of the file(s); I think it's having trouble accessing the PHTSYS volume.  It's probably due to what SBinger says in http://forum.phathack.com/index.php?topic=620.0; Media Manager is trying to access the disk directly, and can't handle 160GB.

Except...  Neither the PHTSYS volume, which it's complaining about, nor the PHTDATA volume, is too large!!!

My next test:  I will clone the 20GB image and put it on the 160GB disk, but will not increase the size.  So it should just be a 20GB disk, right???

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:35 pm »
This is getting annoying.

I start with the original 20GB disk, which is recognized just fine by both Media and Music Manager.

I use Acronis TrueImage to create an image of the entire disk (both the PHTSYS and PHTDATA partitions).

I use Acronis TrueImage to restore that image onto my 160GB disk.  It creates the two partitions exactly as before.

I dismount it and reinsert it while Music Manager is running; it detects it just fine, and syncs/ejects it just fine.

I close Media Manager, reinsert the cartridge, and Media Manager pops up.  And as always, it complains about H:\CurrentSetup.xml!!!

I don't get it!  Media Manager used to love this disk!  I can't remember if I did anything weird when I first got it to work, but I definitely used Media Manager 3.92 to create playlists, copy the music files to it, etc.  I definitely did not use Music Manager, and I won't; it's just about impossible to create 300+ playlists with it.

Aieeeeeeeee!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:34:30 am »
The delayed write errors you first experienced, and everything else since, strongly suggest that the disk is failing.  When one disk works and the other does not, it's reasonable to assume that the disk is the problem.

However, I had very similar experiences with PMM 3.92 and a 250GB DMS, which initially led me to believe that the disk was bad, though it turned out to be fine.  See this post for how I got around the problems.  It might work in your case as well:  http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1949.msg12069.html#msg12069

In any case, I don't think all the disk imaging/cloning and partition resizing are helping the situation.  So, before trying anything else, I suggest deleting both partitions and reformatting a single FAT32 partition, and then running a full disk check (including surface scan) with error repair.  If the format or the disk check cannot be completed, the disk is bad.  If you get through both, try creating a new DMS again with the tools.

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:18:21 pm »
I don't believe that there are any problems with the disk:  1) it was working just fine in my wife's car for over a year, 2) the DMS hack tools can format it just fine, and 3) Music Manager can write files to it. 

But I will test it today.

Thanks for the link.

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:36:47 pm »
Mark, I followed your stepas at http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1949.msg12069.html#msg12069 precisely, twice, and it doesn't work for me.

I still get the error from Music Manager about the CurrentSetup.xml file.

At this point, I am giving up and reverting to the 20GB disk.  At least my wife can listen to some music.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:42:17 pm by InterMurph »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »
Did you run a Windows disk check with repair?  Just because a disk has been working and still appears to function doesn't necessarily mean it's all good.  Laptop drives are particularly prone to failure, in my experience.

Even if the steps from my other post did not work for you, I wonder if the same thing is happening with your disk that was happening with mine.  After loading the disk and getting the error, try to open the phtsys partition.  It should open (but it might not), but then try to copy any file from the partition and paste it to your desktop.  If that causes an error to the effect of "cannot find file," then it is the same problem:  the phtsys partition is un-mounting for some reason.  I never figured out why, I just figured out a workaround for me.

Anyway, if this is what is happening, you might have luck if you roll back to PMM 3.76.

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:41:10 pm »
That is what happens with the 160GB disk:  whenever Media Manager is running, I can see the file listing via the "dir" command, but any attempt to copy files results in an error.

And I understand your comments, but the disk is simply not bad in any way.  During this process, I have low-level formatted it at least 3 times, so every sector has been written and read successfully.  The disk is good, which is why Music Manager has no problem with it.

But I simply can't bear to create my 300+ playlists in Music Manager; it takes about 13 separate operations to create one!

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:57:04 am »
Anyway, if this is what is happening, you might have luck if you roll back to PMM 3.76.

That's worth a try, but I don't have 3.76, and I can't find it on the internets.  Does anybody have a link?

Thanks.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 07:54:53 am »
I'm sure it's in the download section at PhatNoise.org  ;)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 12:11:10 pm »
Right, since the phtsys partition is un-mounting as it was in my case, we can assume that the disk is not bad, but something in 3.92 or Windows (or both) is causing the problem.  So it seems to be the same problem, but for whatever reason my workaround does not work in your case.  Flummoxed, indeed.

Before trying 3.76 (on phatnoise.org as VorTechS suggested -- you have to register to see the downloads), you might just try reinstalling 3.92 and see what happens.

Are you using Vista or XP?  Vista is considerably fussier than XP, and I could not get a 250GB DMS to work at all in Vista.  If you're on Vista and you've an option to switch to an XP machine, give that a try.

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
Argh!  I downloaded PMM 3.76 and installed it, but when I start it, it says that it is out of date, and sends me to the web site for an upgrade.  Then it exists!

I didn't remove 3.92 before I installed 3.76.  I suppose I could try that, but I sure hope it doesn't lose all of my playlists and media library!

PS  I am running XP with SP3.

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 04:37:20 pm »
OK, I fully removed the 3.92 software, and verified that its directory was completely removed.

Then I downloaded and installed 3.76.  And waited patiently while it re-imported the media DB.

It still doesn't work.

I give up.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:20 pm »
PS  Turns out I'm not actually giving up.  I'm just selling my 160GB on eBay and buying a 120GB disk, in hopes that it will work!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 10:45:08 am »
Wiat!  I just had a stupid stupid thought.  It annoyed me, because I know I have seen this 'Delayed Write Failure' issue consistently before.

And I've just remembered what miy issue was.  It was the cradle.  Actually, it was the power supply to the cradle.  It wasn't fully inserted properly.

Seems really stupid huh?  Please check it's not just that! ;~)