Author Topic: A few questions before starting my DMS hack  (Read 4476 times)

Offline fw_fw

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Phatbox'n Phool
A few questions before starting my DMS hack
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:37:13 am »
Hey gang,

newbie here, really appreciate y'alls hard work and effort to help us enlarge the DMS cartridges.  I've had my Phatbox in my VW Jetta for about 2 weeks now, but as most of you I've just about filled up the stock cartridge (20GB).  I really don't need that much more, as I don't have that many more CDs to rip, so I picked up a cheap 40GB Toshiba from one of the tech sites.  I do, however, have a couple of questions that I haven't seen answered in my reading of this forum:

1)  From what I understand by reading this forum is that the hack works by reconfiguring the firmware so that it no longer checks the drive serial# signature.  Does that lock in the firmware so that one can never upgrade again if phatnoise puts out a new version of firmware?  Should one just ignore firmware updates from now in case Phatnoise comes out with a way of defeating this hack?

2)  What is the best way of transferring the music and audio data that is already on the OEM 20GB to the new 40GB?  I only have one DMS, so I will have to remove the old 20GB and replace it with the 40GB.  I don't want to just start over if possible as I used Phatvoice to customize the titles and don't want to lose that work.   Should I just dump or backup using WinXP tools or should I use some of the Phatnoise's built-in tools?

Thanks in advance for y'alls help!!

Frank

Offline fw_fw

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Phatbox'n Phool
Re: A few questions before starting my DMS hack
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 02:22:51 am »
Well, just got myself some upgrade insurance:  Picked up another phatbox that someone was selling used at a good price, only a couple of weeks old.  Going to use it to upgrade the drive & phatbox, and then sell off the rest when done.