Author Topic: Unable to Maintain Green Light in Kenwood Cradle  (Read 5966 times)

Offline bibeaud

• A few posts under my belt.
Unable to Maintain Green Light in Kenwood Cradle
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:36:44 am »
I just received the Kenwood KHDCX910 via ebay today.

After I installed the PMM software, I started to connect the cradle and DMS cartridge to the computer's USB port.

The red and green lights came on initially, but the green went out and I can not recognize the DMS on my computer.  The red light does stay on.

If I remove the DMS and push down on the brass metal object inside the cradle with a pen (Capped), both lights come on.

Is my DMS defective?

Also, the computer will not recognize the cradle. I am using WinXP Pro SP2.

Thanks!
David
David

Offline bibeaud

Re: Unable to Maintain Green Light in Kenwood Crad
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 01:45:05 pm »
Update to above:

The DMS does work in the Music Keg box installed in the car.  I have connected it to the FM Modulator KCA-R71FM.

I can access multiple disks.  I do hear corrupt track announced.

Any suggestions how I can get my computer to see and talk to the DMS so I can install some music?

Thanks!
David
David

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.

Offline bibeaud

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 05:05:27 pm »
When I push down on it, both lights light up.

When I insert the DMS, the red light stays on (all the time) and the green light goes out after a two seconds.

It appears to me, that it is unable to recognize the DMS drive.  Also, I can not get Win XP to automatically load the drivers for the Kenwood Cradle.  I have manually installed the ISD setup files without success.
David

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:37:50 pm »
try a different computer, it sounds like the DMS/Cradle interface is OK... maybe your USB is having problems.  Does it see a device at all?

Offline bibeaud

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:43:25 pm »
My home computer does not see the Kenwood Cradle at all.  When I plug it into the USB port, it does not recognize that new hardware has been added.

I've tried manually adding new hardware, but it does not recognize that anything new is connected to the computer.

Unfortunately, my work computer is controlled by the SysAdmin's and I am unable to install software and drives on it.  

I'll have to remove my home computer from it's armoir and try to access a different USB port in the back of the computer -- worth a try.

I also ordered the USB2 cradle from Phatnoise today, hoping that since it uses new drivers, perhaps this device, much like all my other devices, will be recognized.
David

Offline RUSOLO

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 05:35:54 am »
I had the same problem when I setup my cradle. When I inserted the DMS both lights would come on for a moment, then go out. I had to re-shape the brass piece so it would make contact when the DMS was inserted.

Your PC will not recognize a empty cradle. If the contact is not closed when the DMS is inserted, the PC will not see the drive in the DMS.

Offline bibeaud

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 03:23:59 pm »
I tried bending the brass contact without success.  I even went as far as to remove the board from the cradle and electrical tape the brass contact down so both red and green lights constantly stay on when the power cord is connected without success.

Needless to say I am convinced that it is down to 3 items:
1) The cradle is not working properly (Order a new USB 2 cradle)
2) The DMS is not working properly (I can't see it on my computer but it plays in the music keg)
3) My computer USB ports are not working properly (I see no error flags/messages under "Device Manager" and I run other USB hardware without issue)

Am I missing anything?

Help is appreciated.  Thanks!

David
David

Offline sven

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 05:25:54 pm »
I had a similar problem when I first got my keg and this resolved it.  Not sure if it applies to you though.

http://www.phatnoise.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=858&c=10

Offline bibeaud

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 03:51:47 am »
Tried to install the software and cradle on two other computers (in addition to my home computer) without success.

Since the cradle is 0 for 3 and the 10GB DMS works in the music keg, I'll wait for the new USB2 cradle to arrive to see if the Kenwood Cradle was defective.

If I can't get the new USB2 cradle to work, then I may be looking at getting a new DMS or finding someone that I can send my DMS to for a hardrive upgrade (for a fee).

David
David

Offline bibeaud

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 04:19:28 pm »
USB2 cradle arrived last night from Phatnoise.  It installed perfectly on my computer and I can now access the DMS.

I then tried the powersupply that came with the USB2 cradle on the Kenwood cradle....still no success.  Therefore the problem is with the cradle itself.  I disassembled the base and all of the cables are firmly attached.  Even taping down the brass switch with electrical tape did not help.  I would like to get this working so I could hook it up to my computer at work and listen to some tunes without having to be a "bandwith hog".

Any other suggestions (other than throwing away the Kenwood cradle)?
David