Author Topic: Help: VW Phatnoise in Mazda 3  (Read 23772 times)

Offline crane007

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Mazda 3 Phathacker
Help: VW Phatnoise in Mazda 3
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:09:15 am »
I just purchased a Mazda 3 and I cant live without my phatbox.
I know there is a Mazda version of the phatbox but is really expensive. Has anyone had any luck installing a VW phatbox in a Mazda ?
What cable is needed to connect it to the deck.

Thanks
Crane

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Help: VW Phatnoise in Mazda 3
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:40:42 am »
I don't recall for sure but I seem to think that the Mazda phatboxes had some new chip in them that enabled support so you have to have a mazda or one of the other two special version phatboxes to get it to work.

As for the cable, you've got me man.

check the wiki for info on that.  wiki.phathack.com

Offline cardura9

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:40:33 am »
I am working on that project this weekend, although I am putting it in a Mazda 5. (cousin to Mazda3)

Right now I have an Audi Phatbox, with Mazda DMS Cart, and Mazda3 cable connected to the Mazda5 Headunit.

The fastest way to get it working would be to buy the Mazda3 install kit from a Mazda dealer.  ~$35.  This includes the phatbox to headunit cable, and some other wire ties, brackets, etc. for mounting in glove box.

Next you will have to acquire a Mazda DMS Cartridge, that has the Mazda firmware files.  These can be ordered from Phatnoise for $199 for a 40gb.  Or you can somehow acquire the files and copy them over your VW files.

It is currently working, although not 100% at moment.  The headunit seems to freeze up sometimes, although i found if I cycle the source, or press random button a few times, I  regain control over the Phatbox.  A little weird, but I will be looking that the ini file to see if there is any way I can modify a few settings to make it function a little better.

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:35:40 am »
cardura9,

Thanks for the update. I wonder how hard it would be to pull the mazda firmware off the DMS and put it onto a different DMS (say VW or Kenwood). That sure would save alot of $$$.

Are you currently using a VW DMS/Phatbox ?

Let me know how your tests went on the weekend.

Crane007

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 04:28:59 pm »
This looks like what I want (Still to expensive), but that means that we should be able to convert the VW unit to work in the Mazda.
Any idea of how to pull the Mazda firmware off of a DMS ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43947&item=8028860636

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:38:36 pm »
you can just apply firmware for another type of phatbox / keg via PMM and that "removes" (replaces the files really) the firmware on the DMS as you choose to call it.

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 05:03:38 pm »
you can just apply firmware for another type of phatbox / keg via PMM and that "removes" (replaces the files really) the firmware on the DMS as you choose to call it.

Yes, I am aware of this. But there is not a "Mazda" option in the PMM. This is why I asked how to do it manually.
What files/directories are needed off the DMS to do a manual update of another DMS.

Esentially, if I had access to a Mazda DMS, what files would I need to copy to my VW DMS so that it would update my VW phatbox with the Mazda firmware ?

Crane007
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 05:03:56 pm by crane007 »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 06:45:47 pm »
you need the PHTSYS partition, and tyhen just make a blank file called forceupdate and forcesettings

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 10:29:11 pm »
I see what you are saying now.

Just copy the whole phtsys root directory except the box_id files and create the forceupdate and forcesettings files and insert your DMS into the phatbox.

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 11:04:12 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is find a phathack member that has a Mazda DMS and is willing to pull the firmware off it for me.

crane007

Offline dsmdriver

• PhatHacker
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 04:39:23 pm »
I have a Phatbox from a VW/Audi in my Mazda RX-8. I bought it from a VW dealer on Ebay for about $200 with the full Mazda install kit.

It booted right up and worked. But it also came with a hand labeled burned CD that allows me to "recover" the drive to work in a Mazda if something goes wrong. I haven't looked at the CD yet, but I'll go do it and see if it has what we need. I'm assuming it does.

And FYI, when I look in the media manager, it thinks it is a VW/AUDI box but knows it has Mazda FW.

Offline dsmdriver

• PhatHacker
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 05:06:28 pm »
Turns out the CD just has a zip file on it that appears to have every file that is on the PHATSYS drive.

If anyone wants this file (26Mb), just PM me. I can host it for quite a few people but can't just post the link.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 06:52:47 pm »
PM sbingner (sam) about it and he should be able to add that to the firmware page on downloads.phathack.com

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 11:26:36 pm »
Well, I finally managed to get the VW phatbox working in my 2006 Mazda 3. Thanks DMSdriver for giving me a copy of the mazda firmware. The firmware must have been a bit old because it didnt work properly in my 2006 Mazda 3. Mazda switched from Sanyo to Clarion in the 2006 Mazda 3's.

I ended up calling up phatnoise and telling them the my OEM Mazda phatbox would not work in my 2006 Mazda 3. The nice support girl said "yes, there is a new firmware for this car, I will e-mail it to you".

Only a few things needed to get a VW phatbox working in a 2006 Mazda 3:
1) VW or Audi phatbox (kenwood keg would probably work too)
2) Mazda phatbox cable (avail from US mazda dealers, I got mine from www.pugi.com)
    - The cable plugs directly into the back of the stock stereo, I will be putting the Phatbox in the glovebox. I will post some pictures this weekend of the Mazda cable and the install.
3) Mazda firmware (got this from dmsdriver)
4) Mazda firmware patch (got this from phatnoise).

It works just like the VW disk-up/disk-down stereos.
It ended up costing me about $280(CAN) to get the install working.
Wow, I am I ever glad I didnt pay Mazda $750(US) for a Mazda phatbox.

Offline arexsvn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 09:16:52 pm »
Has anybody gone to downloads.phathack.com to get the Mazda firmware? I cannot get there without seeing "forbidden" on the page.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.

Offline bluegt

• PhatHacker
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 04:30:36 pm »
Im in the process of getting my box running in my Mazda3, I was wondering if anyone has any idea about how to get track info to display in the headunit...firmware hack?

Offline hemanrulez

• PhatHacker
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 04:34:31 pm »
So this doesnt display anything on the Mazda HU? Whats the point then. I would have bought it for my RX-8 but I dont think I wanna drop over $200 for no HU display.

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 05:07:11 pm »
Phatnoise is capable of displaying CD text and therefore tags it is usually the deficiency of the OME headunit not the Phatbox.

If your headunit displays CD text then your in luck if not like Audi then no.

As far as not displaying tags the voice prompts make it worth $200  and are certainly easier to use on the move than text.

Offline bluegt

• PhatHacker
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 06:53:49 pm »
The reason I ask is because supposedly (not confirmed), the Mazda version of the phatbox can display text on the HU, the VW -->flashed--> Doesn't seem to.

Not a big deal to me because its an 8 Character LCD...pretty lame, but it would be useful to know what track is playing. (Since mine doesn't announce the track title when I hit Scan)