Author Topic: So Riddle me this, Batman.  Music Keg indexin  (Read 3299 times)

Offline sparky3

• Getting the hang of things.
  • www.goldcomics. com
So Riddle me this, Batman.  Music Keg indexin
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:05:02 am »
I have the VOIT and a Keg.  I have about 11,000 mp3's and have somehow whittled them down into exactly 100 Playlists and about 90 genres.  I have the Kenwood double din head unit, the DDX-8017.  Let's say I'm in the default, playlist mode.  I can display 6 playlists at once, and if I go page by page it'll show the names of each playlist (after a delay).  I noticed something the other day - I went ahead and scrolled through all 100 playlists by arrowing down on the touchscreen, and then shut the car off.  I never entered SSA/VOIT mode.  I came back out of the store, hit the "List" button, and this time all playlists showed up by name (instead of the default "no access" before they are "indexed").  I went from 1 to 100 and they were all there instantly.
This is great; it's like it's saved the playlist index somehow.  I hit "scan" for SSA mode, and browsed by genre.  Went through each page of 6 each until it was finished, shut the car off.  Started it back up and it was "indexed" too!  Toggled back to playlist mode and of course, it was no longer indexed.

1.  How can I save it so it's always indexed?  Assuming I don't add any more artists or genres, why can't it save both of these indexes?  Is there any way to force it?

Shawn

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: So Riddle me this, Batman.  Music Keg ind
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:10:26 pm »
I don't have that head unit so I can't help but have you tried emailing kenwood support?  sometimes (like 1 in 3) they respond with something useful...  since it seems to be headunit related

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
Re: So Riddle me this, Batman.  Music Keg indexin
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:26:29 pm »
I think it's the Keg, but I'm on the phone with Kenwood now.  I also sent this to Phatbox support.

Shawn

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
Re: So Riddle me this, Batman.  Music Keg ind
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:44 am »
I don't have that head unit so I can't help but have you tried emailing kenwood support?  sometimes (like 1 in 3) they respond with something useful...  since it seems to be headunit related

Judb you were correct!  Phatnoise responds today:

"Hello Shawn,

Thank you for using the Kenwood Music Keg. The issue you described is due to a limitation of the stereo. There is delay in filling the list because of all the data being sent to/from the head unit and the Music Keg, but all names eventually will be seen.

The issue that you are having is due to the head unit's capability to save disc names.  Video head units can save up to 250 names, which is why each name instantly pops up after it has been previously displayed once.  

Since the head unit is connected via changer bus, most functionality is based on a large disc changer, which does not contain separate VIOT modes.  As a result, the data is saved only until the VIOT mode is changed.  The whole list is cleared when you change modes.  If the list was not cleared, the text from the old VIOT mode would remain until eventually rewritten, and also would lead to confusion.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes you.

Best regards,

PhatNoise Customer Support"

Out of curiousity, I went out tonight and allowed it to "index" my playlists.  Shut the car off and back on, playlists still displayed properly.  Reset the headunit, and they all went away and needed indexed again.
Hmm....